Vienna Media News – September 2022 Christmas in Vienna
During Advent, the city’s most attractive squares are transformed into enchanting Christmas markets. Each of which has an appeal all of its own. Some offer majestic imperial backdrops, while others are tucked away in cobblestone backstreets or set up in idyllic parks. And they all have special attractions to stop younger visitors from getting bored. All of the events and markets that the city has to offer are profiled here: https://www.wien.info/en/shopping-wining-dining/markets/christmas-markets-342664
Viennese Christmas Market on Rathausplatz
With more than 100 stands to choose from, the largest and best known of the city’s Christmas markets is the Viennese Christmas Market on Rathausplatz. The atmosphere is steeped in a blend of romance and nostalgia. Visitors can skate their way around the festively illuminated Rathauspark at the Vienna Ice Dream, which forms part of the Christmas market. Star-crossed lovers make a beeline for the Hearts Tree. There is a Christmas world for children in the park, complete with carousel, crib walk and separate ice rink. Brass bands provide the yuletide soundtrack.
Imperial Charm in Front of Palaces and Mansion Houses
The Christmas markets in front of Schönbrunn Palace and the Belvedere Palace are steeped in imperial grandeur. And the Christmas Market Schloss Schönbrunn is a major draw thanks to its traditional handicrafts, artisanal Christmas decorations, Christmas concerts and a packed kids program including a Christmas workshop. The Christmas Village at the Belvedere Palace leaves a lasting impression on visitors thanks to its spectacular Baroque backdrop. Here, the palace grounds provide plenty of space for a stunning Christmas market brimming with beautiful handcraftsmanship and delicious festive treats. The Advent Market at the Liechtenstein Garden Palace will take place for the second time this year, meaning that it is still something of a secret tip for anyone looking for a stunning atmosphere.
Tradition and Handicrafts
Fans of tradition will be in their element at the the Old Viennese Christmas Market on Freyung, Am Hof Christmas Market and the Christmas Village on Stephansplatz. And lovers of arts and crafts should head for the Spittelberg Christmas Market and Art Advent am Karlsplatz. At the latter, all of the food and drink on sale is certified organic. Other popular destinations in the run-up to Christmas Day include the Christmas Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz, which is nestled between the Kunsthistorisches Museum and the Museum of Natural History, and the Christmas Village at the University of Vienna campus. With a children’s railway and nostalgic carousel, there’s plenty for families to enjoy at the campus too. And if that wasn’t enough, there is also a pair of curling lanes.
Things follow a slightly less traditional path at MQ Wintergarten. The courtyard of the MuseumsQuartiers transforms itself into an evocative winter landscape thanks to spectacular art and light projections, lots of outdoor hospitality options and a curling lane. At the Winter Market on Riesenradplatz it’s action – as well as live music – that sets the tone. The Advent-Genussmarkt opposite the Vienna State Opera is all about fine food and drink.
Guide to the Prettiest Christmas Markets
From early November 2022 ivie – the digital city guide for Vienna on your smartphone – will also feature a guide to the prettiest Christmas markets in town under the Walks & Guides header.
- ivie for iOS: https://apps.apple.com/at/app/ivie-wien-guide/id1486840263
- ivie for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.vienna.ivie
Dates and Addresses:
- Viennese Christmas Market on Rathausplatz, Nov 19-Dec 26, 2022, Vienna Ice Dream at the Christmas market: Nov 19, 2022-Jan 8, 2023, Rathausplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.christkindlmarkt.at
- Culture and Christmas Market, Nov 19-Dec 26, 2022, New Year’s Market, Dec 27, 2022-Jan 4, 2023, main square in front of Schönbrunn Palace, 1130 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.co.at
- Christmas Village at the Belvedere Palace, Nov 18-Dec 26, 2022, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27, 1030 Vienna, www.weihnachtsdorf.at
- Advent Market at the Liechtenstein Garten Palace, Nov 18-Dec 23, 2022, Fürstengasse 1, 1090 Vienna, www.adventimgartenpalais.at
- Old Viennese Christmas Market at Freyung, Nov 18-Dec 23, 2022, Freyung, 1010 Vienna, www.altwiener-markt.at
- Am Hof Christmas Market, Nov 11-Dec 23, 2022, Am Hof, 1010 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt-hof.at
- Christmas Village on Stephansplatz, Nov 11-Dec 26, 2022, Stephansplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.weihnachtsdorf.at
- Spittelberg Christmas Market, Nov 10-Dec 23, 2022, Spittelberggasse, Stiftgasse, Schrankgasse, Gutenberggasse, 1070 Vienna, www.spittelberg.at
- Art Advent – Arts and Crafts on Karlsplatz, Nov 18-Dec 23, 2022, Karlsplatz, 1040 Vienna, www.artadvent.at
- Maria-Theresien-Platz Christmas Village, Nov 16-Dec 26, 2022, Maria-Theresien-Platz, 1010 Vienna, www.weihnachtsdorf.at
- Christmas Village at the University of Vienna campus, Nov 11-Dec 23, 2022, Alserstrasse/Spitalgasse, Hof 1 (Courtyard 1), 1090 Vienna, www.weihnachtsdorf.at
- MQ Wintergarten at the MuseumsQuartier, from the start of November 2022, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Vienna, www.mqw.at
- Winter Market on Riesenradplatz, Nov 19, 2022-Jan 8, 2023, Prater, 1020 Vienna, www.wintermarkt.at
- Advent-Genussmarkt bei der Oper, Nov 11-Dec 31, 2022, Mahlerstrasse 6, 1010 Vienna, www.adventgenussmarkt.at
For more information visit www.vienna.info.
+43 1 211 14-364