Vienna Media News 9-12/2020 Wonderfully Viennese winter
PLEASE NOTE: events are subject to change at short notice due to Covid-19 safety measures.
In Vienna, the run-up to Christmas really shifts up a gear in mid-November when the capital’s Advent markets open, offering visitors endless gift ideas, handcrafted wares and mouthwatering treats. The best-known market of them all is the Christmas Dream at the Christmas Market in front of City Hall, where 150 stands, beautiful lights in the Rathauspark and the Kleiner Eistraum – a 3,000m² skating rink – await visitors. Another equally charming option is the Culture and Christmas Market & New Year’s Market in front of Schönbrunn Palace, where around 80 stallholders offer handicrafts, Christmas decorations, cribs and much more. Other Advent highlights include the Old Viennese Christmas Market on Freyung, the Christmas markets on Stephansplatz and Spittelberg, the Christmas villages at the Belvedere, on Maria-Theresien-Platz and the Uni Campus, and Art Advent Karlsplatz. In total, there are around 20 large Christmas markets with roughly 1,000 stands, as well as numerous smaller, temporary markets, charity stands and huts selling punch and mulled wine.
Anyone who loves gliding across the ice will be in their element at Vienna Ice World. This paradise for skaters of all ages and abilities extends from City Hall all the way to the Ringstrasse boulevard. Covering around 9,000m² and spread across two levels, it is one of the largest artificial ice rinks anywhere in the world. Ice trails also criss-cross the romantically lit Rathauspark, and the whole experience is set to a soundtrack that includes a bit of everything, from pop to waltzes. Skate hire is available, and curling lanes are set up after night falls. Numerous outdoor concession stands and a traditional Alpine hut with terrace offer a full range of food and drink, including regional and organic specialties, as well as warming organic punch and tea. From mid-November, the Kleiner Eistraum (around 3,000m²) provides a tantalising taste of what’s to come at Vienna Ice World.
- Vienna Christmas World and Christmas Market on Rathausplatz, Nov 13- Dec 26, 2020, Rathausplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.wienerweihnachtstraum.at
- Culture and Christmas Market in front of Schönbrunn Palace, Nov 21-Dec 26, 2020, New Year’s Market: Dec 27, 2020-Jan 3, 2021, Schönbrunner Schlossstrasse, 1130 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.co.at
- Old Viennese Christmas Market, Nov 21-Dec 23, 2020, Freyung, 1010 Vienna, www.altwiener-markt.at
- Christmas Market, Stephansplatz, Nov 13-Dec 26, 2020, 1010 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at
- Spittelberg Christmas Market, Nov 13-Dec 23, 2020, Spittelberggasse, Burggasse, Schrankgasse, Stiftgasse, Siebensterngasse, 1070 Vienna, www.spittelberg.at
- Christmas Village & New Year’s Village Schloss Belvedere, Nov 20-Dec 26, 2020, New Year’s Village: Dec 27-31, 12.2020, Upper Belvedere, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27, 1030 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at
- Christmas Village and New Year’s Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz, Nov 18-Dec 26, 2020, New Year’s Village: Dec 27, 2020-Jan 6, 2021, Maria-Theresien-Platz, 1010 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at
- Christmas Village, Uni campus/Altes AKH, Nov 17-Dec 23, 2020, Altes AKH/Universitätscampus, Alserstrasse/Spitalgasse, 1090 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at
- Art Advent – arts and crafts on Karlsplatz, Nov 20-Dec 23, 2020, Karlsplatz, 1040 Vienna, www.artadvent.at
- Vienna Ice World, mid-January-early March 2021, Kleiner Eistraum, November/December 2020, Rathausplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.wienereistraum.com
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364