Vienna Media News 12/2020 New Arrivals on Vienna’s Restaurant Scene
Vienna’s markets are not only great for shopping – visitors can also stop for a meal or a drink. Umarfisch on Naschmarkt, known for its excellent fish and delicious seafood, has just opened up Umar Fischbar – a small, open market stand serving tapas-style fish and good wines. Heu & Gabel is a new arrival on Meidlinger Markt: an organic deli and city wine tavern that specializes in high-quality products from small growers and manufacturers in the local region, alongside vegan street food. Das Ferment, a new snack bar on Vorgartenmarkt in the second district, produces and sells fermented foodstuffs such as pickled veg, homemade miso, kimchi, kombucha and sauerkraut.
New eatery Paul & Vitos has set up shop in a high-profile location in the first district. Its EssBar brasserie on Petersplatz with its attractive retro interiors and year-round terrace has a clear focus on Mediterranean cuisine. Just a short distance away, Everybody's Darling at Tuchlauben 22 opened a chic, luxury day bar which is all about coffee in the mornings, aperitifs in the afternoons and cocktails in the evenings. In the Haas-Haus building opposite St. Stephen's Cathedral is Onyx, which serves Asian specialties with spectacular views of Vienna’s best-loved landmark.
Just next to the Ringstrasse boulevard and University of Vienna, Restaurant Schubert is flying the flag for classic Austrian cuisine. Located in a particularly historic setting, it is framed by the ancient city walls. Fully refurbished in the past 18 months, the Hotel Hilton Vienna Park next to Stadtpark has also relaunched its bars and restaurants. In the lobby, Selleny’s Bar offers coffee specialties and cocktails along with a small menu with a focus on raw food dishes. At its new restaurant Lenz the focus is on social dining and takeaway.
French culinary flair is the order of the day at two new Viennese restaurants: the first, Le Pic, is a combination of café, bar and brasserie close to the Ringstrasse in the first district. The second, Ma Belle Bistro & Bar in the sixth district, is the place for coq au vin and escargots.
- Umar Fischbar, Naschmarkt Stand 74-75, 1060 Vienna, www.umarfischbar.at
- Heu & Gabel, Meidlinger Markt Stand 29, 1120 Vienna, www.heuundgabel.at
- Das Ferment, Vorgartenmarkt Stand 30, 1020 Vienna, dasferment.at
- Paul & Vitos, Petersplatz 11, 1010 Vienna, paulundvitos.wien
- Everybody's Darling, Tuchlauben 22, 1010 Vienna, www.everybodysdarling.at
- Onyx, Stephansplatz 12, 1010 Vienna, www.doco.com
- Restaurant Schubert, Schreyvogelgasse 4-6, 1010 Vienna, restaurant-schubert.at
- Selleny’s Bar, Am Stadtpark 1 (at the Hilton Vienna Park), 1030 Vienna, sellenys-bar.at
- Lenz, Am Stadtpark 1 (at the Hilton Vienna Park), 1030 Vienna, www.hilton.com
- Le Pic, Dr.-Karl-Lueger-Platz 3, 1010 Vienna, www.lepic-restaurant.at
- Ma Belle Bistro & Bar, Gumpendorfer Strasse 16, 1060 Vienna, www.ma-belle.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364