Vienna Media News 12/2018 News from Vienna’s culinary scene
What the Duck has set up shop in an old market administration office on Yppenplatz in the sixteenth district. This dim sum restaurant and bar serves contemporary Chinese cuisine with a French touch in a relaxed ambience. Weinhaus Pfandler in the twelfth district, also known by its alter ego of Zu den Seligen Affen, has original 1950s interiors. After a long time lying fallow, it reopened under new owners and now offers specialties from Austrian small-scale and micro producers, homemade spreads and salads as well as grilled open sandwiches. Another new arrival, Alma – Gastrothèque in the fourth district is a charming combination of wine bar and bistro that treats its patrons to an interesting mix of Alpine and maritime dishes.
Seasonal Austrian and Mediterranean cuisine is the order of the day at new eatery Das Glashaus in the second district. Located in the Viertel Zwei urban development quarter, it offers great views of the harness racing track at Krieau. New kid on the block One of One (1o1) in the first district is something of an epicurean melting pot. It incorporates a Mexican restaurant focusing on tacos, tequila and Mescal, an Asian restaurant serving Sino-Vietnamese fusion cuisine, and a bar. Its concept also somehow finds room for an art gallery and live piano music.
Café Drechsler, one of Vienna’s most legendary coffeehouses, is under new management. In its new guise as Drechsler Wienzeile, this bar on Naschmarkt aims to retain its famously laid-back charm and long opening hours (Friday and Saturday 8am to 2am). Dingelstedt3 in the fifteenth district is likewise under new management. Positioned as a contemporary local pub, it is all about breathing new life into time-honoured Viennese traditions, with classic dishes and personal interpretations. City-centre Heuriger wine tavern Zum g’schupften Ferdl in the sixth district was left vacant for some time, but is raring to make its comeback at the start of 2019 as Bruder. The new concept revolves around a restaurant and open kitchen, and a bar serving unconventional drinks.
Vienna’s bread boom is showing no signs of slowing: Joseph Bäckerei-Bistro on Kirchengasse will be the bakery’s fifth site in the capital. The great selection of fantastic handmade specialty breads on offer at the new store in the seventh district will be given additional depth with a choice of small bistro snacks. Joseph also has a bakery and patisserie – with integrated café/bistro – on Albertinaplatz in the old town. Joseph’s bread is available at a new café-patisserie by the name of Viola. Located in the eighth district, it is run by Joseph’s former head pâtissière. In addition to a range of savoury treats, this stylish café serves the very finest confectionery, cakes and pastries. And right in the centre of the city, a new bar called Dosage has its sights set on all things champagne. Patrons can chose from a huge range of growers and vintage champagnes, with beers, wines and snacks also on the menu.
- What the Duck, Yppenplatz 4, 1160 Vienna, www.facebook.com/whattheduckwien
- Weinhaus Pfandler, Dörfelstrasse 3A, 1120 Vienna, www.weinhaus-pfandler.at
- Alma – Gastrothèque, Grosse Neugasse 31, 1040 Vienna, www.alma-gastrotheque.at
- Das Glashaus, Am grünen Prater 11, 1020 Vienna, www.dasglashaus.at
- One of One, Seilerstätte 16, 1010 Vienna, oneofone.at
- Drechsler Wienzeile, Linke Wienzeile 22, 1060 Vienna, www.drechsler-wien.at
- Dingelstedt3, Dingelstedtgasse 3, 1150 Vienna, www.dingelstedt3.at
- Bruder, Windmühlgasse 20, 1060 Vienna, www.facebook.com/Bruder-2470874832937726
- Joseph Bäckerei-Bistro, Kirchengasse 3, 1070 Vienna, www.joseph.co.at
- Joseph am Albertinaplatz, Führichgasse 6, 1010 Vienna, www.joseph.co.at
- Viola, Strozzigasse 42, 1080 Vienna, www.viola.wien
- Dosage, Fleischmarkt 16, 1010 Vienna, www.dosage.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364