Vienna Media News 10/2018 Musical Advent in Vienna
The Christmas in Vienna gala at the Wiener Konzerthaus on December 21, 2018 (pre-premiere December 20, 2018) has a host of stars lined up, and a packed program brimming with Christmas carols and festive music from all over the world. Valentina Nafornita, Angela Denoke, Dmitry Korchak and Adrian Eröd will all be performing alongside the ORF Radio Symphony Orchestra Vienna, the Wiener Singakademie and the Vienna Boys choir. The concert will be conducted by Christian Arming. On December 15, 16 and 17, 2018 audiences at the Wiener Konzerthaus will able to see the Wiener Symphoniker perform Johann Sebastian Bach’s Christmas Oratorio under the baton of Philippe Jordan. And the Bolshoi Don Cossacks will be putting in an appearance at the Wiener Konzerthaus. On December 23, 2018 the high-profile male voice choir will perform a program of carols and church songs as well as Russian folk classics underscored by explosive choreography. The Ural Cossack Choir will also be treating audiences to the sounds of a Russian Christmas at the Karlskirche (Church of St. Charles) on December 20, 2018.
One concert that gives everyone the chance to join in is the pre-Christmas highlight at the Wiener Volksoper. On December 16, 2018, top soloists, the State Ballet, and the Volksoper’s orchestra and children’s choir will perform together at the event. The Vienna Boys Choir is synonymous with vocal perfection. Its members will be working their magic at MuTh – their very own venue in the second district – at their good shepherds Christmas concert (December 11-15, 2018).
Choirs from all over the world get together at City Hall during advent for the annual International Advent Singing Festival Vienna. This popular choir event is free to attend. Oh Happy Day and When the Saints are two of the classics in The Christmas Gospel’s repertoire. The ensemble will be performing live at the Karlskirche on December 7, 8, 14, 15, 21 and 22, 2018. The singer Stella Jones and her American Christmas Gospel ensemble will be starring on four evenings (Dec 9, 16, 21 and 22, 2018) at the Votivkirche, and The Original USA Gospel Singers & Band can be seen at the Minoritenkirche on December 20, 21, 22 and 23, 2018).
Things take a more contemplative turn with the Clemencic Consort’s Christmas Baroque concerts (Dec 15 and 16, 2018) performed on period instruments in the impressive Eroica Hall at Palais Lobkowitz. At St. Stephen's Cathedral, soloists from the Wiener KammerOrchester create a Christmassy atmosphere at the Advent Concerts accompanied by trumpet and featuring selected works by composers including Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johann Sebastian Bach, Franz Schubert, Joseph Haydn (Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings during the four weeks of Advent). At the Minoritenkirche church, festive sounds will ring out at the Trumpets in Concert events on December 13, 15 and 19, 2018 from 7.30pm. This brass instrument will also be the star of the show at the Trompetenzauber concerts in the Baroque Annakirche church every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from November 30-December 23, 2018. Selected works by Bach, Mozart, Handel et al for trumpet and organ will be performed at the Christmas Trumpet concerts in the Malteserkirche church on several dates in December 2018.
Festive music is also an important part of numerous Christmas markets such as Vienna Christmas World on Rathausplatz, the Christmas Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz, the Old Viennese Christmas Market on Freyung, the Culture and Christmas Market in front of Schönbrunn Palace, Art Advent on Karlsplatz and the winter market on the square in front of the Giant Ferris Wheel.
- Christmas in Vienna, www.christmasinvienna.at
- Wiener Konzerthaus, Lothringerstrasse 20, 1030 Vienna, www.konzerthaus.at
- Karlskirche, Karlsplatz, 1040 Vienna, www.karlskirche.at
- Volksoper, Währinger Strasse 78, 1090 Vienna, www.volksoper.at
- MuTh – Vienna Boys’ Choir Concert Hall, Am Augartenspitz 1, 1020 Vienna, www.muth.at
- International Advent Singing Festival Vienna, Rathaus, 1010 Vienna, www.musicultur.com
- The Christmas Gospel, Karlskirche, Karlsplatz, 1040 Vienna, www.karlskirche.at
- American Christmas Gospel, Votivkirche, Rooseveltplatz 8, 1090 Vienna, www.votivkirche.at
- The Original USA Gospel Singers & Band, Minoritenkirche, Minoritenplatz 2A, 1010 Vienna, www.minoritenkirche-wien.info
- Clemencic Consort, Palais Lobkowitz, Lobkowitzplatz 2, 1010 Vienna, www.clemencic.at
- Advent concerts in St Stephan’s Cathedral, Stephansplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.kunstkultur.com
- Trumpets in Concert, Minoritenkirche, Minoritenplatz 2A, 1010 Vienna, www.leebmusic.com
- Trompetenzauber, Annakirche, Annagasse 3B, 1010 Vienna, www.kunstkultur.com
- Christmas Trumpet, Malteserkirche, Kärntner Strasse 37, 1010 Vienna, www.wien-ticket.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364