Vienna Media News 10/2018 Christmas in Vienna
The first Advent and Christmas markets open in mid-November – including the capital’s largest, the Vienna Christmas World Christmas market on Rathausplatz. Soon after, the Christmas villages on Maria-Theresien-Platz, in front of the Belvedere Palace and on the University of Vienna Campus follow suit. Other highlights include the Culture and Christmas Market in front of Schönbrunn Palace and Art Advent in front of the Karlskirche church.
The capital’s Advent markets are laden with Christmas goodies including candles, baubles, arts and crafts, cribs, toys, gifts and Christmas decorations. There is also a mouthwatering selection of Xmas food and hot drinks to enjoy, including spiced teas, drinking chocolate, mulled wine and punch, as well as warming snacks and sweet treats. Winter im MQ (www.mqw.at) at the MuseumsQuartier approaches the run up to Christmas from a different angle with an unusual winter landscape, artistic light installations and other highlights.
Held on the four weekends of Advent, the International Advent Singing Festival Vienna at City Hall brings together choirs from all over the world for performances of gospel and folk music, and Christmas songs. On December 21, 2018 Christmas melodies are on the program at the Konzerthaus, when opera singers will take to the stage to perform their favorite songs at the Christmas in Vienna gala concert (www.christmasinvienna.com). St. Stephen's Cathedral will host a series of Advent concerts (www.kunstkultur.com), as will the Minoritenkirche church (www.minoritenkirche-vienna.info). The Trompetenzauber series in the baroque Annakirche church, also in the historic old town, presents a range of music from classic Viennese pieces to international Christmas carols, all featuring the trumpet. This instrument will also take center stage at the Malteserkirche (www.malteserorden.at) church.
During Advent the Vienna Boys Choir can be heard on stage at MuTh – their very own concert hall (www.muth.at). The Clemencic Consort will be performing a series of Baroque-themed concerts in the opulent in the Eroica Hall at Palais Lobkowitz (www.clemencic.at). Songs and music from choirs and brass bands will also fill the air at many Christmas markets, including on Freyung and at Schönbrunn Palace.
The main Christmas markets in Vienna 2018 (by district)
- Vienna Christmas World on Rathausplatz, Nov 16-Dec 26, 2018, www.wienerweihnachtstraum.at
- Christmas market on Stephansplatz, Nov 16-Dec 12, 2018, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at
- Christmas market & New Year’s Villages Maria-Theresien-Platz, Nov 21-Dec 26, 2018 & Dec 27-31, 2018, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at, www.silvesterdorf.at
- Old Viennese Christmas Market, Nov 23-Dec 23, 2018, www.altwiener-markt.com
- Am Hof Christmas Market, Nov 16-Dec 23, 2018, www.weihnachtsmarkt-hof.at
- Winter Market on Riesenradplatz, Nov 17, 2018-Jan 6, 2019, www.wintermarkt.at
- Christmas Village at Belvedere Palace, Nov 23-Dec 26, 2018, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at
- Art Advent Karlsplatz, Nov 23-Dec 23, 2018, www.artadvent.at
- Winter im MQ, Nov 9-Dec 23, 2018, www.mqw.at
- Spittelberg Christmas Market, Nov 15-Dec 23, 2018, www.spittelberg.at
- Christmas Village, Uni campus/Altes AKH, Nov 17-Dec 23, 2018 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.at.at
- Culture and Christmas Market and Schönbrunn Palace New Year’s Market, Schönbrunn Palace, Nov 24-Dec 26, 2018 & Dec 27, 2018-Jan 6, 2019, www.weihnachtsmarkt.co.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364