Vienna Media News 10/2018 A taste of the arts in the evening
With many of the city’s museums open until 9pm, Thursday is a great day for culture vultures. Participating venues include the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien and the Leopold Museum, mumok – museum of modern art ludwig foundation vienna and Kunsthalle Wien in the MuseumsQuartier. Others on the list are the Künstlerhaus (temporarily in the fifth district while refurbishments are completed at its usual location), the Austrian National Library, the Literature Museum, the Esperanto Museum, the Globe Museum, the Papyrus Museum and the WestLicht – Center for Photography. The Dom Museum Wien and MUSA Museum | Startgalerie | Artothek keep their doors open until 8pm on Thursdays.
Friday is another good time for a late museum trip, when art fans have until 9pm to explore the works on show at the Albertina, Belvedere, Weltmuseum Wien, Belvedere 21 (the former 21er Haus) and Bank Austria Kunstforum. The MAK – Austrian Museum of Applied Arts/Contemporary Art does not close until 10pm on Tuesdays, while on Wednesdays the Albertina, Belvedere 21 and Museum of Natural History all stay open until 9pm.
In the old town, the musical voyages of discovery at the House of Music go on until 10pm daily. Likewise open until 10pm each night, the Museum of Illusions gives visitors the opportunity to explore its holograms, stereograms and optical illusions long into the evening.
The gourmet evenings at the Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna every Thursday combine fine food with an equally impressive cultural spread. Dinner at the restaurant in the stunning domed hall is served from 6.30pm to 10pm. Directly opposite, the Museum of Natural History has its own variation on the theme with its dinner and culture program starting at 7pm on Wednesdays. Between October and March dinner guests can look forward to muscles, fresh fish and other seafood. In April, May and June it’s asparagus season. Meals include appetizers and a dessert buffet. Art and culture is also on the menu at the Belvedere. Tours of the temporary exhibition and the highlights of the permanent collection are supplemented with sweet and savory treats. Not to be left out, Schönbrunn Palace also offers visitors a unique dining experience. The Evening at Schönbrunn package includes a tour of the palace, dinner at Café-Restaurant Residenz and a concert.
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna, Maria-Theresien-Platz, 1010 Vienna, www.khm.at
- Leopold Museum, MuseumsQuartier, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Vienna, www.leopoldmuseum.org
- mumok – museum of modern art ludwig foundation vienna, MuseumsQuartier, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Vienna, www.mumok.at
- Kunsthalle Wien, MuseumsQuartier, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Vienna, www.kunsthallewien.at
- Künstlerhaus 1050, Stolberggasse 26 / 4th floor, 1050 Vienna, www.k-haus.at
- Austrian National Library, Hofburg, Josefsplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.onb.ac.at
- Literature Museum of the Austrian National Library, Johannesgasse 6, 1010 Vienna, www.onb.ac.at/museen/literaturmuseum
- Esperanto Museum, Palais Mollard, Herrengasse 9, 1010 Vienna, www.onb.ac.at
- Globe Museum, Palais Mollard, Herrengasse 9, 1010 Vienna, www.onb.ac.at
- Papyrus Museum, Neue Burg, Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.onb.ac.at
- WestLicht – Center for Photography, Westbahnstrasse 40, 1070 Vienna, www.westlicht.com
- Dom Museum Wien, Stephansplatz 6, 1010 Vienna, www.dommuseum.at
- Bank Austria Kunstforum Wien, Freyung 8, 1010 Vienna, www.kunstforumwien.at
- Albertina, Albertinaplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.albertina.at
- Belvedere, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27 + Rennweg 6, 1030 Vienna, www.belvedere.at
- Weltmuseum Wien, Hofburg, Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.weltmuseumwien.at
- Belvedere 21, Arsenalstrasse 1, 1030 Vienna, www.belvedere21.at
- MAK – Austrian Museum of Applied Arts/Contemporary Art, Stubenring 5, 1010 Vienna, www.mak.at
- Naturhistorisches Museum Vienna, Maria-Theresien-Platz, 1010 Vienna, www.nhm-wien.ac.at
- House of Music. The Museum of Sound, Seilerstätte 30, 1010 Vienna, www.hdm.at
- Museum of Illusions, Wallnerstrasse 4, 1010 Vienna, https://museumderillusionen.at
- Gourmet Evening at the KHM, http://www.khm.at/entdecken/angebote/cafe-restaurant
- Culture and culinary experience at the Natural History Museum, http://www.food-affairs.at/kultur-kulinarium/kulinarium-im-museum
- Schönbrunn Palace: Evening at Schönbrunn, www.imagevienna.com
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364