Vienna Media News 04/2018 Shopping at Vienna’s museums
A new information point has opened on April 26, 2018 in the Hofburg in the heart of Vienna, for visitors to find out about the history of the former Habsburg residence and the institutions based there. The Hofburg Info Centre will be located to the left of the entrance to the Weltmuseum Wien (World Museum Vienna), as a central starting point for a tour through what is one of the world’s largest palace complexes. The Imperial Shop Vienna at the Hofburg, also a new arrival, sells selected souvenirs and products from former purveyors to the imperial court and other long-established Viennese manufacturers. There is plenty to choose from for visitors who want to take a piece of Vienna with them – whether it is a little memento or a grand gift.
Other attractions at the Hofburg also have their own shops. The Weltmuseum Wien, which opened in October 2017, offers a wide range of products connected to the museum’s collections and exhibitions. The Sisi Museum shop sells coffee cups with a portrait of the Empress, copies of her jewellery, biographies of the Habsburgs and much more. The Spanish Riding School also stocks wonderful souvenirs, such as the original cream-colored deerskin gloves that are part of its uniform.
The Jewish Museum recently remodelled its shop area: the selection of items at Gottfried & Söhne focuses on design from Israel, with a range of publications and catalogues also on sale. Opened in fall 2017, the souvenirs available at the Dom Museum Wien take inspiration from St. Stephen's Cathedral and its eye-catching roof design.
Of course, all of Vienna’s other museums also offer a wide range of products – for example reproductions of pieces of jewellery depicted in paintings and replicas of the famous Venus of Willendorf at the Kunsthistorisches Museum; prints of Egon Schiele’s paintings at the Leopold Museum; high-quality art catalogues at mumok; Dürer’s hare modelled in brightly-coloured plastic at the Albertina; Klimt memorabilia at the Belvedere; Hundertwasser souvenirs at Kunst Haus Wien; and no end of cool design at the MAK Design Shop.
- Hofburg Info Center & Imperial Shop Vienna, Hofburg, Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.imperialshop.at
- Weltmuseum Wien, Hofburg, Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.weltmuseumwien.at
- Sisi Museum, Michaelerplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.hofburg-wien.at
- Spanish Riding School, Michaelerplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.srs.at
- Jewish MuseumVienna, Museumsshop Gottfried & Söhne, Dorotheergasse 11, 1010 Vienna, www.jmw.at
- Dom Museum Wien, Stephansplatz 6, 1010 Vienna, www.dommuseum.at
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna, Maria-Theresien-Platz, 1010 Wien, www.khm.at
- Naturhistorisches Museum Vienna, Maria-Theresien-Platz, 1010 Wien, www.nhm-wien.ac.at
- Leopold Museum, MuseumsQuartier, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Wien, www.leopoldmuseum.org
- mumok – museum of modern art ludwig foundation vienna, MuseumsQuartier, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Vienna, www.mumok.at
- Albertina, Albertinaplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.albertina.at
- Belvedere – Upper Belvedere, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27, 1030 Vienna & Lower Belvedere, Rennweg 6, 1030 Vienna, www.belvedere.at
- Kunst Haus Wien Museum Hundertwasser, Untere Weissgerberstrasse 13, 1030 Vienna, www.kunsthauswien.com
- MAK Design Shop, Stubenring 5, 1010 Vienna, www.makdesignshop.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364