Vienna Media News 04/2018 Vienna bar boom
Stadtbar, close to the Vienna State Opera and Burggarten, is one of the latest additions to the capital’s nightlife. With its red booths and black velvet curtain, the interior clearly references the world of theatre. Original Art Nouveau tiles add a classically Viennese touch. Located in a cellar on the Ringstrasse, the new Clandestino at Mercado has a distinctly 1950s feel to it with echoes of the even older speakeasies. South American and Asian ingredients are skilfully combined for the cocktails, a concept that also provides the inspiration at the Mercado restaurant above the bar. Salopp on Passauer Platz in the first district is all about enjoying a relaxed, laid back atmosphere. The cocktails in the new bar are inspired by the international bartenders' travels. Roberto American Bar is set to open its second location in the centre of Vienna where guests can enjoy fine finger food in an elegant setting finished with marble, mirrors and chandeliers. The bar opens at 11am and has a large outdoor seating area with views of St. Stephen's Cathedral.
A new diner-bar has opened near Schwarzenbergplatz. Some of the drinks at Bar3 in Salesianergasse are mixed using original 1920s and 1930s recipes, including almost-forgotten classics such as Fashion Martinis and Twenty Fives. The American-diner style menu contains selected grill specialties. At the new Matiki Bar in the seventh district patrons will soon find themselves dreaming of the south seas. Cocktails such as Zombies – served here in a slightly toned-down variant – are served in stylish ceramic beakers. The BirdYard in the eighth district is a cross between a restaurant and bar. With the upstairs section devoted to fine food, the basement level is the preserve of interesting cocktail creations and brightly-colored murals. Krypt has set up shop in a historic vaulted cellar in the ninth district where it takes its cue from the bars of the 1920s. The opulent interior design – created by Viennese studio KLK – was awarded the 2017 American Architecture Prize.
There is also plenty to shout about on the capital’s club scene. What was once the Stadtkino cinema on Schwarzenbergplatz has been given a new lease of life as Club Schwarzenberg. The new party location has a state-of-the-art sound and lighting system and a VIP gallery. Musically speaking, the tone is set by RnB, hip hop and house. Club Alice has adapted the premises formerly occupied by Club Palffy in the old town, taking Alice in Wonderland as its primary source of inspiration. Camera Club in the seventh district is back from hiatus at long last, meaning a legendary night spot returns to the capital’s party listings.
- Stadtbar, Hanuschgasse 3, 1010 Vienna, www.facebook.com/stadtbar
- Clandestino at Mercado, Stubenring 18, 1010 Vienna, www.clandestino.at
- Salopp Bar, Passauer Platz 2, 1010 Vienna, www.salopp.at
- Roberto American Bar, Jasomirgottstrasse 7, 1010 Vienna, www.robertosbar.com
- Bar3, Salesianergasse 25/1, 1030 Vienna, www.bar3.at
- Matiki Bar, Gardegasse 2, 1070 Vienna, www.matiki.at
- The BirdYard, Lange Gasse 74, 1080 Vienna, www.thebirdyard.at
- Krypt, Wasagasse 17, 1090 Vienna, www.facebook.com/krypt.bar
- Club Schwarzenberg, Schwarzenbergplatz 7, 1030 Vienna, www.clubschwarzenberg.at
- Club Alice, Josefsplatz 6, 1010 Vienna, www.facebook.com/clubALICE
- Camera Club, Neubaugasse 2, 1070 Vienna, www.camera-club.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364