Choirs from all over the world get together at City Hall for the annual international carol concerts. These free performances feature a varied programme of folk, Advent and Christmas songs from countries all over the world. Christmas in Vienna is one of the out-and-out highlights of the capital’s Advent scene. A mix of traditional Christmas carols and new arrangements fill the air of the main auditorium at the Wiener Konzerthaus. More than 150 singers perform classics such as Silent Night, supported by international soloists who share traditional Christmas songs from their home countries. Performers include the ORF Radio Symphony Orchestra Vienna, the Vienna Singakademie and the Vienna Boys' Choir as well as soprano Angela Denoke, tenor Dmytro Popov and baritone Günter Haumer. This year’s special guest in 2016 is trumpeter Melissa Venema.
Soloists from the Vienna Chamber Orchestra feature at the Advent concerts inside St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Held on the four weekends leading up to Christmas, they take in various genres including Christmas chamber music and Advent song. The trumpet recitals in the Annakirche, a beautiful – and heated – Baroque church, feature a variety of pieces by composers including Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johann Sebastian Bach, Franz Schubert and Joseph Haydn, accompanied by piano or organ. At Trumpets in Concert in the Minoritenkirche, one of the city’s oldest churches, works by Händel and Vivaldi are accompanied by more modern Christmas songs. The church will also host the Original USA Gospel Singers in December 2016, as well as velvet-voiced soul singer Dorretta Carter on December 23. At Palais Lobkowitz in Vienna’s historic city centre the Clemencic Consort will perform a series of Baroque concerts on December 16, 17 and 18, 2016 including works by Claudio Monteverdi, Sébastien de Brossard and André Campra. And it goes without saying that festive music can be heard at many of the capital’s Advent and Christmas markets in the run-up to the holidays.
- International Carol Singing, Nov 24-28, Dec 1-5, Dec 8-12, Dec 15-19, 2016, Rathaus, 1010 Vienna, www.musicultur.com
- Christmas in Vienna, Dec 16+17, 2016, Wiener Konzerthaus, Lothringerstrasse 20, 1030 Vienna, www.christmasinvienna.com
- Advent Concerts in St. Stephen’s Cathedral, end of November until December 23, 2016, Stephansplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.stephanskirche.at, www.kunstkultur.com
- Advent Trumpet Recitals, Annakirche, end of November until Dec 18.12.2016, Annagasse 3b, 1010 Vienna, www.annakirche.at, www.kunstkultur.com
- Trumpets in Concert, Dec 10, 15 + 17, 2016, Minoritenkirche church, Minoritenplatz 2A, 1010 Vienna, www.leebmusic.com
- Original USA Gospel Singer, Dorretta Carter, Minoritenkirche church, Minoritenplatz 2A, 1010 Vienna, www.minoritenkirche-wien.info
- Clemencic Consort, Dec 16, 17 + 18, 2016, Theatermuseum, Lobkowitzplatz 2, 1010 Vienna, www.clemencic.at