Revelers can pick up traditional Austrian lucky charms such as chimney sweeps, pigs and four-leafed clovers at the New Year’s Market in front of Schönbrunn Palace, the New Year’s Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz and at the Pink Christmas market on Naschmarkt. On December 31, central Vienna is transformed into a giant party location thanks to the New Year’s Trail which wends its way through the narrow streets of the historic city center. The route is lined with stands selling punch and tasty delicacies, while countless stages offer live entertainment, waltz, operetta, rock, pop, DJ sounds and traditional Volksmusik. The classical music zone on Graben is always a popular choice. Viennese dance schools offer crash courses for wannabe waltzers on Stephansplatz. The New Year’s Trail gets going at two in the afternoon, and at midnight on December 31 each year, St. Stephen’s Cathedral’s legendary Pummerin (boomer) bell rings in the New Year, moments before the Blue Danube Waltz begins. Rathausplatz and the Prater both host midnight firework displays.
The Hofburg Silvesterball is a glittering ball night in an imperial setting featuring beautiful melodies and performances by top stars from the world of ballet and opera. A luxury gala dinner, chic bars and a fantastic buffet provide a culinary treat for guests. The New Year’s Concert by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in the Golden Hall at the Musikverein is an unmissable part of the New Year experience – dress rehearsal (Dec 30, 2015), New Year’s Eve Concert (Dec 31, 2015) and New Year’s Concert (Jan 1, 2016). Due to high demand, tickets are awarded via lottery on the Vienna Philharmonic website. New Year’s Day in Vienna usually gets underway with a hangover breakfast on Rathausplatz where the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra’s New Year’s Concert can be enjoyed on the big screen.
- Schönbrunn Palace New Year’s Market, Dec 27, 2015-Jan 3 2016, Schloss Schönbrunn, 1130 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.co.at
- New Year’s Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz, Dec 27, 2015-Jan 1, 2016, 1010 Vienna, www.silvesterdorf.at
- Pink Christmas in Vienna, Dec 26-31, 2015, Naschmarkt, next to the U4 station Kettenbrückengasse, 1060 Vienna, www.pink-christmas.org
- New Year's Eve Trail, Dec 31, 2015, 1010 Vienna, www.wien-event.at
- Hofburg Silvesterball, Dec 31, 2015, Hofburg, Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.hofburgsilvesterball.com
- New Year’s Day Concert by the Vienna Philharmonic, Musikverein, Musikvereinsplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.wienerphilharmoniker.at