In fall 2015, the Grand Ferdinand will open in a prime location on the Ringstrasse boulevard, offering 188 rooms including four suites and one grand suite as well as three restaurants and a rooftop pool. The project involved giving a 1950s office building on Schubertring a new lease on life as an elegant hotel. Close to Westbahnhof, the Ruby Marie Hotel Wien will open on the six uppermost floors of a former shopping center by the end of 2015. Viennese architects BEHF will transform a building on the Mariahilfer Strasse shopping street into a 186-bed lean luxury hotel.
The 533-room, 17-floor Motel One Wien-Hauptbahnhof (533 rooms) opened in May 2015 at Vienna’s new main station. It is the largest of the four hotels in the budget chain’s Austrian portfolio. A number of other hotels have shot up in recent months in the immediate vicinity of the capital’s new transport hub. Hotel Schani Wien (135 rooms) added another three star facility when it opened in April 2015. Run by a Viennese hotelier family and developed as a smart hotel with the support of organizations such as the Fraunhofer IAO in Stuttgart, the hotel brings together Viennese charm and state-of-the-art technology.
Another new three-star hotel, the Star Inn Hotel Premium Wien Hauptbahnhof with 300 rooms, opened in April 2015. Two new hotels – Ibis and Novotel, each with 250 rooms – are scheduled to open in Fall 2016 at Vienna’s main station. Magdas Hotel, one of the most unusual new projects, opened in the second district in February 2015. The former retirement home next to the Prater park has been totally transformed, offering 78 budget rooms along with facilities including a library, cinema and bicycle hire. Hotel professionals and refugees will run the Caritas Wien-led social enterprise.
- Grand Ferdinand, Schubertring 10-12, 1010 Vienna, www.grandferdinand.com
- Ruby Marie Hotel Wien, Mariahilfer Strasse 120, 1070 Vienna, www.ruby-hotels.com
- Motel One Wien-Hauptbahnhof, Gerhard-Bronner-Strasse 11, 1100 Vienna, www.motel-one.com
- Hotel Schani Wien, Karl-Popper-Strasse 22, 1100 Vienna, www.hotelschani.com
- Star Inn Hotel Premium Wien Hauptbahnhof, Gerhard-Bronner-Strasse 5, 1100 Vienna, www.starinnhotels.com
- Magdas Hotel, Laufbergergasse 12, 1020 Vienna, www.magdas-hotel.at