During the four weekends of Advent, City Hall plays host to choirs from all over the world at the free international carol concerts. Held from Friday to Sunday, they feature a packed program of folk and Christmas songs from all four corners of the earth. Soloists from the Vienna Chamber Orchestra feature at the Advent concerts inside St. Stephen’s Cathedral on the four weekends leading up to Christmas. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening, they can be seen performing selected works by Mozart, Bach, Schubert and Haydn as well as Christmas carols. The Advent trumpet recitals at the Annakirche from November 27, 2015 adopt a similar format. This beautiful, heated, Baroque church will provide an unforgettable backdrop for the selected works for trumpet, organ and piano.
A mix of traditional Christmas carols and new arrangements will fill the air at the Christmas in Vienna concert on December 19, 2015 (pre-premier December 18, 2015) in the main auditorium at the Wiener Konzerthaus. A 150-strong choir and orchestra will perform classics such as Silent Night, supported by international soloists who will share traditional Christmas songs from their home countries. Soprano Valentina Nafornita, mezzosoprano Angelika Kirchschlager and tenor Piotr Beczala are among the leading lights lined up for this year’s festivities.
Johann Strauss’ Die Fledermaus takes pride of place in Vienna at the turn of the year. This operetta featuring the Waltz King’s unforgettable score is on at the Vienna State Opera on December 31 and January 1, and the Volksoper on December 31, 2015. The Philharmonics and illustrious guests such as soprano Valentina Nafornita will provide the musical entertainment at the Konzerthaus this New Year’s Eve. At midnight, the venue’s grand foyer is transformed into a sea of waltzing guests. In the Theater an der Wien, Angelika Kirchschlager and Anne Sofie von Otter will lead concertgoers on a tour of Kurt Weill’s musical world. The New Year’s gala will provide a taster for the upcoming premier of the Threepenny Opera, which is coming up in 2016 to mark the 10 year anniversary of the venue’s reincarnation as an opera house.
On December 31, 2015, the New Year’s EveTrail transforms Vienna’s old town into one giant party venue, with shows and everything from waltz to pop music. The Hofburg Silvesterball is a glittering ball night in an imperial setting featuring beautiful melodies and performances by top stars from the world of ballet and opera. The New Year’s Concert by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in the Golden Hall at the Musikverein is an unmissable part of the New Year experience – dress rehearsal (Dec 30, 2015), New Year’s Eve Concert (Dec 31, 2015) and New Year’s Concert (Jan 1, 2016). Due to high demand tickets are allocated via lottery on the Vienna Philharmonic website.
- International Carol Singing, Rathaus, 1010 Vienna
- Advent concerts in St Stephan’s Cathedral, Stephansplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.kunstkultur.com
- Advent trumpet recitals, Annakirche, Annagasse 3b, 1010 Vienna, www.annakirche.at, www.kunstkultur.com
- Christmas in Vienna, Dec 19, 2015, pre-premiere Dec 18, 2015, Konzerthaus, Lothringerstrasse 20, 1030 Vienna, www.christmasinvienna.com
- Vienna State Opera, Opernring 2, 1010 Vienna, www.wiener-staatsoper.at
- Volksoper Wien, Währinger Strasse 78, 1090 Vienna, www.volksoper.at
- New Year’s Gala, Dec 31, 2015, Theater an der Wien, Linke Wienzeile 6, 1060 Vienna, www.theater-wien.at
- New Year’s Gala, Dec 31, 2015, Wiener Konzerthaus, Lothringerstrasse 20, 1030 Vienna, www.konzerthaus.at
- New Year's Eve Trail , Dec 31, 2015, 1010 Vienna, www.wien-event.at
- Hofburg Silvesterball, Dec 31, 2015, Hofburg, Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.hofburgsilvesterball.com
- New Year’s Day Concert by the Vienna Philharmonic, Musikverein, Musikvereinsplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.wienerphilharmoniker.at