Vienna Media News 02/2015 VIDEO: Romantic Vienna
Winding alleyways, colonnaded courtyards, beautiful mansion houses – Vienna’s historic old town is also its romantic heart. In the oldest parts of the capital around St. Stephen’s Cathedral the streets are still cobbled as they were centuries ago. A stroll along Blutgasse and Domgasse is like stepping back into a bygone age. The same could be said of a visit to any one of the numerous surviving purveyors to the imperial court such as A.E. Köchert, who once created bespoke jewelry for Empress Elisabeth.
The lovingly restored Biedermeier era buildings in the seventh district’s Spittelberg quarter, close to the MuseumsQuartier, set the scene for a romantic stroll. Vienna’s carefully manicured parks are also well worth a visit, many of which are located on the Ringstrasse boulevard. Here, the options include Rathauspark, Stadtpark, and Volksgarten, which is home to more than 400 varieties of roses. Meanwhile, the Baroque formal gardens at Schönbrunn Palace and the Belvedere palace are in a class of their own, with long boulevards and beautifully maintained hedges, luscious flower beds, ornamental fountains, and impressive statues providing a memorable backdrop. Romantics also have the chance to experience an exclusive hotel suite in the imperial ambience of Schönbrunn Palace. And at the Upper Belvedere, young lovers should make a beeline for Gustav Klimt’s Kiss.
We would like to thank everyone who helped to make this video possible:
- Schloss Schönbrunn Suite, Schloss Schönbrunn, 1130 Vienna, www.austria-trend.at/Suite-Schloss-Schoenbrunn
- Giant Ferris Wheel, Riesenradplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, www.wienerriesenrad.com
- Austrian Federal Gardens (Empress Elisabeth Statue in the Volksgarten, Burgring, 1010 Vienna)
- A. E. Köchert Juweliere, Neuer Markt 15, 1010 Vienna, www.koechert.com
- Belvedere, Upper Belvedere, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27, 1030 Vienna, www.belvedere.at
- Tempel, Do & Co Hotel Vienna, Stephansplatz 12, 1010 Vienna, www.docohotel.com/de/events/temple
- Austria Trend Parkhotel Schönbrunn (ball room), Hietzinger Hauptstrasse 10-14, 1130 Vienna, www.austria-trend.at/Parkhotel-Schoenbrunn
- Silvia Paul, Fiakerbetrieb, Albrechtskreitgasse 26, 1160 Vienna, www.fiaker-paul.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Media Relations UK, USA, Canada, Australia
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-364