Kaiser Franz Joseph inaugurated Vienna's Ringstrasse on May 1, 1865. Now the greatest municipal planning design of the time was going to be implemented: buildings of imperial and democratic significance alternated with the palaces of the aspiring bourgeoisie. An imperial decree led to the construction of such buildings as the Kunsthistorisches Museum, the Museum of Natural History, the Vienna State Opera and the Burgtheater. The Parliament, City Hall and the university arose as “buildings for the people”.
All of these splendid buildings still have their full radiance today. The “Ring” has changed though in the course of the last 150 years. An elegant promenade for the wealthy and beautiful has become a modern boulevard for everyone.
The 150th anniversary of Vienna's Ringstrasse is being celebrated in 2015. Numerous institutions have planned a special program.
For further information please visit http://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/ringstrasse2015