One of the most unusual new projects is the Magdas Hotel in the second district (opening February 2015). The former retirement home next to the Prater park has been totally transformed, offering 78 budget rooms along with facilities including a library, cinema and bicycle hire. Hotel professionals and refugees will run the social enterprise which has been set up by the charity Caritas Wien. Viennese architects BEHF are busy converting a shopping center on the popular Mariahilfer Strasse shopping street into Hotel Cocoon Wien, a 372-bed low budget design hotel situated near Westbahnhof train station. Its first guests will be welcomed in November 2015. A new hotel on the Ringstrasse boulevard (Schubertring 10-12) will occupy the former home of the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution and Counterterrorism and is due for completion in autumn 2015.
The area new around Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) is also attracting its fair share of new hotels. Hotel Schani Wien (135 rooms) will begin business in April 2015 and plans to offer three star facilities. Run by a Viennese hotelier family and developed as a smart hotel with the support of organizations such as the Fraunhofer IAO in Stuttgart, the hotel will bring together Viennese charm and state-of-the-art technology. Another new three-star hotel opening in April 2015 is the Star Inn Hotel Premium Wien Hauptbahnhof with 300 rooms. The neighbouring building is also going to be a hotel, the 533-room Motel One Wien-Hauptbahnhof. Ready in the middle of 2015, this will be the largest of the budget chain’s hotels in Austria.
New to the scene in November 2014 was Motel One Wien-Staatsoper. The low-budget design hotel with 400 rooms is located in a heritage-listed building a stone’s throw from the State Opera. 143 new luxury rooms and suites were added to the city’s premium hotel market in June 2014 thanks to the new Park Hyatt Vienna. This premium accommodation is situated in a freshly renovated complex of historic buildings in the city center, which once housed a former bank headquarters and is part of the Goldenes Quartier, Vienna’s new luxury shopping zone (www.goldenesquartier.at). The Ruby Sofie Hotel has its sights firmly set on the “lean luxury” segment of the market. The 154-bed establishment opened in May 2014 in the third district. What sets this hotel apart is its focus on competitively priced smaller rooms with a clear commitment to design.
An exclusive hotel suite inside Schönbrunn Palace opened its doors to paying guests for the first time in spring 2014. The 167m² Schönbrunn Palace Suite in the east wing is brimming with regal charm. Features such as Maria-Theresa chandeliers, stucco work and imperial damask echo the decorative style found elsewhere in the former Habsburg summer residence. A new four-star lifestyle hotel operated by the Spanish Meliá Hotels International group opened its doors back in February 2014 in a spectacular skyscraper on the left bank of the Danube. The 253 rooms and suites of the Meliá Vienna occupy floors 4 to 15 of Austria’s tallest building, the DC Tower 1. Designed by architect Dominique Perrault, it stands at 250 meters. The top two levels of the 58-floor skyscraper are home to the hotel’s roof top bar and restaurant.
- Magdas Hotel, Laufbergergasse 12, 1020 Vienna, www.magdas-hotel.at
- Hotel Cocoon, Mariahilfer Strasse 120, 1070 Vienna
- Hotelprojekt, Schubertring 10-12, 1010 Wien
- Hotel Schani Wien, corner of Karl-Popper-Strasse/Alfred-Adler-Strasse, 1100 Vienna, www.hotelschani.com
- Star Inn Hotel Premium Wien Hauptbahnhof, Gerhard-Bronner-Strasse 5, 1100 Vienna, www.starinnhotels.com
- Motel One Wien-Hauptbahnhof, Gerhard-Bronner-Strasse 11, 1100 Vienna, www.motel-one.com
- Motel One Wien-Staatsoper, Elisabethstrasse 3-5, 1010 Vienna, www.motel-one.com
- Park Hyatt Vienna, Am Hof 2, 1010 Vienna, www.vienna.park.hyatt.com
- Ruby Sofie Hotel, Marxergasse 17, 1030 Vienna, www.ruby-hotels.com
- Schloss Schönbrunn Suite, Schloss Schönbrunn, 1130 Vienna, www.thesuite.at
- Meliá Vienna, Donau-City-Strasse 7, 1220 Vienna, www.meliahotels.com