Viennese ball fans have a busy season ahead this year and next. Although the ball calendar doesn’t properly hit its stride until the new year, the season actually gets underway on November 11, 2014, the official start of the carnival season, when Vienna’s dance schools transform the old town into an open-air ball room. On November 21, 2014 the Austrian capital steps up a gear with the Vienna Red Cross Ball inside City Hall, while at the turn of the year the former imperial residence of the Hofburg opens its doors for the Silvesterball.
By January the Viennese ball season is in full swing: the Confectioner’s Ball at the Hofburg (Jan 15, 2015) is immediately followed by the Flower Ball inside City Hall (Jan 16, 2015) which will be held under the banner of “150 Years of the Ringstrasse” this time round. Taking place the weekend after that, the Vienna Philharmonic Ball is an absolute must (Jan 22, 2015). Vienna’s classic gay and lesbian ball, the Rainbow Ball at the Parkhotel Schönbrunn (Jan 31, 2015) precedes the Coffeehouse Owners’ Ball at the Hofburg (Feb 6, 2015). The absolute highlight is the Opera Ball at the Vienna State Opera (Feb 12, 2015), after which some of the guests head to the Rose Ball at Palais Auersperg to see the night out. Anyone with serious stamina might even want to think about doing it all again the next night and attending the Bonbon Ball at the Konzerthaus (Feb 13, 2015).
And that’s just a handful of the events on the 2014/15 ball calendar; other highlights include the Physicians’ Ball and the Johann Strauss Ball. Check www.vienna.info for an overview of all the main ball events in the capital.
- Vienna Red Cross Ball, Nov 21, 2014, Rathaus, 1010 Vienna, www.wienerrotkreuzball.at
- Hofburg Silvesterball, 31 Dec, 2014, Hofburg, 1010 Vienna, www.hofburgsilvesterball.com
- Confectioners’ Ball, Jan 15, 2015, Hofburg, 1010 Vienna, www.zuckerbaeckerball.com
- Flower Ball, Jan 16, 2015, Rathaus, 1010 Vienna, www.wien.gv.at
- Vienna Philharmonic Ball, Musikverein, Jan 22, 2015, Musikvereinsplatz 1, 1010 Vienna, www.wienerphilharmoniker.at
- Rainbow Ball, Jan 31, 2015, Parkhotel Schönbrunn, Hietzinger Hauptstrasse 10-14, 1130 Vienna, www.regenbogenball.at
- Coffeehouse Owners’ Ball, Feb 6, 2015, Hofburg, 1010 Vienna, www.kaffeesiederball.at
- Opera Ball, Feb 12, 2015, Vienna State Opera House, Opernring 2, 1010 Vienna
- Rose Ball, Feb 12, 2015, Kursalon Wien, Johannesgasse 33, 1010 Vienna, www.rosenball.eu
- BonbonBall, Feb 13, 2014, Konzerthaus, Lothringerstrasse 20, 1030 Vienna, www.konzerthaus.at
- Physicians’ Ball, Jan 31, 2015, Hofburg, 1010 Vienna, www.aerzteball.at
- Lawyers’ Ball, Feb 14, 2015, Hofburg, 1010 Vienna, www.juristenball.at
- Johann-Strauss-Ball, Feb 14, 2014, Kursalon Wien, Johannesgasse 33, 1010 Vienna, www.soundofvienna.at