From October 2-5, 2014 the international art fair Viennafair The New Contemporary (www.viennafair.at) presents contemporary art with a focus on galleries from Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe. It features works ranging from applied arts, painting, graphics, sculpture and photography to installations and performance art. The 2013 instalment of Viennafair was the most popular in the event’s nine year history by a considerable margin, drawing almost 23,000 visitors. curated by_vienna is a project designed to promote cooperation between leading contemporary art galleries in the Austrian capital and internationally acclaimed curators, who develop special exhibitions for the participating galleries. Held from October 3 to November 8, this year’s event is entitled The Century of the Bed.
On October 4, 2014 a single ticket grants holders access to the exhibitions and collections on show at around 130 Viennese museums, galleries and cultural institutions between 6pm and 1am during the Long Night of Museums. The Long Night ticket also acts as a free pass for the special shuttle bus and Viennese public transportation network. Eyes On – Monat der Fotografie Wien (Vienna Photography Month) is an extensive and varied series of events dedicated to the medium of photography taking place from October 28 to November 30. Held every other year, it is Austria’s largest photography festival. MUSA, which houses the City of Vienna’s art collection, is the venue for the 2014 opening on October 27.
From November 17-23, 2014 Vienna Art Week will transform the nation’s capital into a meeting point for art fans and experts on the international art scene, with a program featuring panel discussions, talks, discussions with artists, exhibition openings, tours of special exhibitions, installations, interventions, and performances. Initiated by the Dorotheum auction house and designed by Art Cluster Vienna, this major event is a joint initiative by various Viennese art institutions, museums, artists and collectors.
- Viennafair, The New Contemporary Europe, international contemporary arts exhibition, Oct 2-5, 2014, Messe Wien, Messeplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, www.viennafair.at
- curated_by, 3 Oct-8 Nov, 2014, http://curatedby.at
- Long Night of Museums, Oct 4, 2014, http://langenacht.orf.at
- Eyes On – Monat der Fotografie Wien, Oct 28-Nov 30, 2014, opening 27 Oct, 2014 at MUSA Museum Start Gallery Artothek, Felderstrasse 6-8, 1010 Vienna, www.musa.at; http://eyes-on.at
- Vienna Art Week, Nov 17-23, 2014, http://viennaartweek.at