Vienna Media News 09/2014 VIDEO: Christmas in Vienna
The first Advent and Christmas markets will open on some of Vienna’s most beautiful squares in early November. The city’s Market Authority recorded 21 large, permanent Advent markets with a total of over 1,100 stalls in 2013 – a figure that does not include the countless small temporary markets, charity stalls, and punch stands that spring up around the Austrian capital. The Christmas Market and Magic of Advent on Rathausplatz is the largest and best-known, with about 150 stalls and a Christmas workshop where kids can bake and do arts and crafts. For traditional handicrafts and Christmas music, the Old Viennese Christmas Market on Freyung or the Am Hof Advent Market are the places to be.
There will be a Christmas market on Stephansplatz for the second time in 2014, showcasing arts and crafts against the impressive backdrop of St. Stephen's Cathedral. The arts and crafts market in front of the Karlskirche (Church of St. Charles) also focuses on artistic wares, and includes a large straw area for children to play in. Romantic cobbled streets lend a unique charm to the Spittelberg Christmas Market, while impressive imperial backdrops make for a special atmosphere at the Christmas villages on Maria-Theresien-Platz, and in front of Schönbrunn Palace and the Belvedere. design schenken offers design gift ideas at Stilwerk on the Danube Canal, as does WeihnachtsQuartier in the MuseumsQuartier (MQ). And if that is all a little bit too Christmassy, Winter im MQ is the perfect place to chill out, with punch, DJs, and curling.
- Christmas Market and Magic of Advent, Nov 15-Dec 24, 2014, Rathausplatz and Rathauspark, 1010 Vienna, www.christkindlmarkt.at
- Old Viennese Christmas Market, Nov 21-Dec 23, 2014, Freyung, 1010 Vienna, www.altwiener-markt.at
- Am Hof Advent Market, Nov 14-Dec 23, 2014, Am Hof, 1010 Vienna, www.kunsthandwerksmarkt.at
- Christmas Market, Stephansplatz, Nov 14-Dec 23, 2014, 1010 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt-stephansplatz.at
- Spittelberg Christmas Market, Nov 14-Dec 23, 2014, 1070 Vienna, www.spittelberg.at
- Culture and Christmas Market, Nov 22-Dec 26, 2014, Schönbrunn Palace, 1130 Vienna, www.weihnachtsmarkt.co.at
- Christmas Village at the Belvedere Palace, Nov 21-Dec 23, 2014, 1030 Vienna, www.weihnachtsdorf.at
- Christmas Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz, Nov 19-Dec 26, 2014, 1010 Vienna, www.weihnachtsdorf.at
- design schenken, Nov 27-Dec 20, 2014, Stilwerk, Praterstrasse 1, 1020 Vienna, www.designschenken.at
- WeihnachtsQuartier, Nov 28-30, 2014, MuseumsQuartier, 1070 Vienna, www.weihnachtsquartier.at
- Winter im MQ, Nov 6-Dec 23, 2014, MuseumsQuartier, 1070 Vienna, www.mqw.at
Vienna Tourist Board
Tel. (+ 43 1) 211 14-363