The summer season opens with Europe’s largest free open-air festival, the Danube Island Festival (June 27-29, 2014). The island is transformed into a 4.5km-long party paradise, where crowds revel in live music performed by around 2,000 artists and 250 food stands make sure the hungry hordes are very well catered for. The Vienna Jazz Festival also helps to kick off the summer of music (June 26-July 8, 2014). From the Vienna State Opera to City Hall, the venues for the varied series of concerts are some of the city’s best locations, and fantastic settings for atmospheric jazz performances.
Music lovers will flock to the 25th Music Film Festival at City Hall Square which starts on the last weekend of June (June 28-July 31, 2014). Classical favorites are projected onto a huge outdoor screen, and there’s a very wide choice of international cuisine on offer – entry is free! Popfest Wien on Karlsplatz square (24-27 July, 2014), a packed series of free open-air concerts by local bands, plays out in front of the impressive backdrop of the Baroque Karlskirche and at various locations on and around Karlsplatz. Europe’s largest dance festival ImPulsTanz (17 July-17 August, 2014) presents international highlights, innovative young talent and significant new productions. Professional dancers and choreographers from all over the world gather for five weeks to put on a host of exciting performances and workshops for thousands of dance and music enthusiasts.
- Danube Island Festival, Jun 27-29, 2014, Danube Island, 1210 + 1220 Vienna, www.donauinselfest.at
- Vienna Jazz Festival, Jun 26-Jul 8, 2014, www.viennajazz.org
- Music Film Festival, Jun 28-Aug 31, 2014, Rathausplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.filmfestival-rathausplatz.at
- Popfest/Karlsplatz, Jul 24-27, 2014, Karlsplatz, 1040 Vienna,
- ImPulsTanz Festival, Jul 17-Aug 17, 2014, www.impulstanz.com