The inclusion of two two-star, and seven one-star establishments in Michelin’s Main Cities of Europe guide just goes to show how good Vienna’s restaurant scene is right now. In 2014 four new restaurants were awarded a Michelin star: Konstantin Filippou (owned by the former chef of the Novelli restaurant), Tian (vegetarian), Edvard (in Hotel Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna) and Vincent. Walter Bauer, Dom Beisl and Mraz & Sohn maintained their one-Michelin-star status. Steirereck at the Stadtpark along with Silvio Nickol Gourmet-Restaurant in Palais Coburg also retained their previous year’s rating with two stars.
Vienna is eagerly anticipating the launch of some exciting new eateries this season, including the new Park Hyatt Vienna which will open in June 2014. Located in the historical buildings of a former bank headquarters in the old town, the luxury hotel is in Vienna’s new exclusive shopping district, the Goldenes Quartier. The first Hyatt hotel in Austria, its highlights include enticing cuisine, as well as 143 rooms and suites, a spa, gym and indoor swimming pool. The Bank restaurant in the old cashier’s hall features a show kitchen and focusses on the creative use of traditional, regional ingredients. Guests will also be able to enjoy a drink in the American style Pearl Bar, or relax in the cigar lounge. Also opening in June 2014, The Room restaurant will be cooking up a storm in the Sofiensälen, a renovated historic building complex in the third district. In late summer 2014 Vienna’s city center will welcome Austria’s first Hard Rock Cafe. Located in Rotenturmstrasse, the two-story restaurant will have space for 174 guests, two bars and stage area for performances by members of the Austrian music scene.
Zum Gschupften Ferdl, situated in the sixth district’s beautiful Raimundhof buildings, describes itself as an urban heuriger, or urban wine tavern. The entire food and drinks menu is certified organic, and on Saturdays there’s entertainment in the form of an excellent program of Wienerlied songs. New concept store Sneak In in the seventh district is a café, bar and fashion outlet all rolled into one. Shop for sneakers and streetwear, eat breakfast, or have a drink – the choice is yours. Down by the Danube Canal in summer, Big Smoke Bar & BBQ can be found serving up tender, slow-smoked barbecue meat, barbecue sandwiches and salads from 5pm daily. The brains behind the temporary restaurant is top chef Christian Petz, formerly of the Holy Moly restaurant on the Badeschiff pool boat, also on the Danube Canal.
Kunsthalle Karlsplatz gallery has welcomed back a restaurant-bar to its premises. Open since March 2014, Heuer am Karlsplatz sources from regional suppliers, makes many of its own ingredients and has ample outdoor seating on the large terrace. Very much part of central Vienna’s creative scene, it works together with the Kunsthalle to provide a multifunctional event space. Mario Bernatovic, who was the chef at Motto am Fluss, is opening his own restaurant, Kussmaul, in May 2014 in the Spittelberg area (seventh district). This new high-end eatery will also include a café, bakery and patisserie.
- Restaurant The Bank, Park Hyatt Vienna, Am Hof 2, 1010 Vienna, www.vienna.park.hyatt.com
- The Room, Sofiensäle, Marxergasse 17, 1030 Vienna, www.sofiensaele.com
- Hard Rock Cafe, Rotenturmstrasse 25, 1010 Vienna, www.hardrock.com
- Zum Gschupften Ferdl, Windmühlgasse 20, 1060 Vienna, www.zumgschupftenferdl.at
- Sneak In, Siebensterngasse 12, 1070 Vienna, www.sneakin.at
- Big Smoke Bar & BBQ, Danube Canal, next to the Badeschiff, (between Schwedenplatz and Urania), 1010 Vienna, www.bigsmoke.at
- Heuer am Karlsplatz, Treitlstrasse 2, 1040 Vienna, www.heuer-amkarlsplatz.com
- Kussmaul, Spittelberggasse 12, 1070 Vienna, www.facebook.com/kussmaulvienna
- Konstantin Filippou, Dominikanerbastei 17, 1010 Vienna, www.konstantinfilippou.com
- Tian, Himmelpfortgasse 23, 1010 Vienna, www.tian-vienna.com
- Edvard, Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna, Schottenring 24, 1010 Vienna, www.kempinski.com/vienna
- Vincent, Grosse Pfarrgasse 7, 1020 Vienna, www.restaurant-vincent.at
- Walter Bauer, 1010 Vienna, Sonnenfelsgasse 17, Tel. +43-1-512 98 71
- Dom Beisl, Schulerstrasse 4, 1010 Vienna, www.dombeisl.at
- Mraz & Sohn, Wallensteinstrasse 59, 1200 Vienna, www.mrazundsohn.at
- Steirereck im Stadtpark, Am Heumarkt 2a, 1030 Vienna, www.steirereck.at
- Silvio Nickol Gourmet-Restaurant Palais Coburg, Coburgbastei 4, 1010 Vienna, www.palais-coburg.com