Retro fashion store Goldstück Vienna is among the latest additions to the trendy scene that has sprung up around Burggasse. The label produces its 1940s and 1950s-style dresses, blouses and skirts in cooperation with a boutique Viennese tailor. Another new arrival, Sous-Bois stocks a full range of stationery and other items by international designers including pencils, notebooks, pads, diaries, scissors as well as an interesting selection of coffee table volumes put together by figures such as the Italian graphic designer Bruno Munari and US artist Remy Charlip. Both shops are just a short walk from Veganista Ice Cream, Vienna’s first ever vegan ice cream parlour. Open all year round, it serves sustainable, fair trade ice cream in a range of conventional and unusual varieties - all of which are completely free of animal products.
The Eigensinnig concept store on St.-Ulrichs-Platz was one of the first to seize on the potential of this particular part of town. This “showroom for fashion and photography” has set up shop in an attractive historic vaulted space, with unplastered walls and concrete floors creating an edgy aesthetic. It only carries fashion in white, black and green by labels such as Hannibal, Esther Perbandt and Aleksandr Manamis and which is otherwise unavailable in the capital. Meanwhile, the gallery specialises in international street photography. A short time ago St.-Ulrichs-Platz welcomed Ulrich, a café, restaurant and bar all rolled into one with an eclectic menu featuring everything from tarte flambée to curries.
Situated on a corner plot adjoining St. Ulrichs-Platz, the racks at vintage store Burggasse 24 are lined with hip, second-hand fashion and presented in light-filled sales rooms with impressively high ceilings. Just a little farther away from the center but still on Burggasse, the bijou My Haus stocks US fashion labels, vintage jewellery and women’s bags all the way from Brooklyn. The Pure Living Bakery, also on Burggasse, serves delicious bagels, sandwiches and cakes in a cosy, shabby chic environment.
- Goldstück Vienna, Neustiftgasse 31, 1070 Vienna, www.goldstueck-vienna.at
- Sous-Bois, Neustiftgasse 33, 1070 Vienna, www.facebook.com/sousboisvienna
- Veganista Ice Cream, Neustiftgasse 23, 1070 Vienna, www.veganista.at
- Eigensinnig, St.-Ulrichs-Platz 4, 1070 Vienna, www.eigensinnig.at
- Ulrich, St.-Ulrichs-Platz 1, 1070 Vienna, www.ulrichwien.at
- Burggasse 24, Burggasse 24, 1070 Vienna, www.facebook.com/burggasse24
- My Haus, Burggasse 51, 1070 Vienna, http://thisismyhaus.madefreshly.com
- Pure Living Bakery, Burggasse 68, 1070 Vienna, www.purelivingbakery.com