The Guesthouse Vienna opens near the State Opera in October 2013. With 39 suites and rooms spread over eight floors, this modern boutique hotel blends luxurious quality with the atmosphere of a private apartment. The in-room facilities include an espresso machine with coffee from the hotel’s own roastery, as well as a wine refrigerator. The interiors are the work of British designer Sir Terence Conran. The ground floor brasserie and bakery is open to both hotel guests and the public. Offbeat Viennese chain Street Lofts will add three new locations in fall 2013. Up-and-coming architectural team Kohlmayr Lutter Knapp has carried on where it left off with the first Street Loft – which opened close to the new Hauptbahnhof station in the fourth district in 2011 – by converting shops into hotel accommodation.
A new four-star hotel operated by the Spanish Sol Meliá group will open its doors in late 2013 in a spectacular 58-story skyscraper on the northern bank of the Danube. Meliá Vienna has 253 rooms and suites between the fourth and 15th floors of the Dominique Perrault-designed DC Tower 1 – Austria’s tallest building – in the 22nd district. The top two floors feature a rooftop bar and a restaurant. This year’s high-profile openings also include the newly expanded three-star 25hours Hotel Wien with 372 beds, which opened in May 2013; the refurbished Best Western Premier Harmonie Vienna, a four-star boutique hotel with 66 beds reopened in July 2013; and the Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna – launched in March 2013 and located in a former mansion house on the Ringstrasse boulevard, this luxury hotel offers 304 beds, two restaurants and a private spa zone.
Austria’s first Hotel Park Hyatt will start welcoming visitors in spring 2014. This 143-room accommodation is situated in a complex of historic buildings in the old town which is also home to the Goldenes Quartier, Vienna’s new luxury shopping zone (www.goldenesquartier.at). Low-budget design hotel chain Motel One is planning to open further branches in the Austrian capital: the 400-room Motel One Wien-Staatsoper located in a listed building close to the State Opera, and the Motel One Wien-Prater with 359 rooms. Both are scheduled to open in 2014. Plans are also being drawn up for a 530-room Motel One at the new Hauptbahnhof station.
- The Guesthouse Vienna, Führichgasse 10, 1010 Vienna, www.theguesthouse.at
- Urbanauts Street Lofts, www.urbanauts.at
- Meliá Vienna, Donau-City-Strasse 1, 1220 Vienna, www.melia.com
- 25hours Hotel Wien, Lerchenfelderstrasse 1-3, 1070 Vienna, www.25hours-hotels.com/wien
- Best Western Premier Hotel Harmonie Vienna, Harmoniegasse 5-7, 1090 Vienna, www.harmonie-vienna.at
- Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna, Schottenring 20-26, 1010 Vienna, www.kempinski.com
- Hotel Park Hyatt, Am Hof 2, 1010 Vienna, www.park.hyatt.com
- Motel One Wien-Vienna State Opera, Elisabethstrasse 3-5, 1010 Vienna; Motel One Wien-Prater, Ausstellungsstrasse 40, 1020 Vienna, www.motel-one.com