Schönbrunn Palace and its formal baroque gardens form the impressive backdrop to the Summer Night's Concert by the Vienna Philharmonic on 30 May 2013. Entry to the outdoor evening concert is free, and this year's program centers on the works of Guiseppe Verdi and Richard Wagner just in time for their 200th birthday celebrations. Lorin Maazel will be taking up the baton in front of the Neptune fountain to conduct what is probably the world's most famous orchestra. Jazz, blues, soul, world music and downbeat sounds are all on the bill at the Vienna Jazz Festival from June 17 to July 10, 2013. Highlights include the Norwegian singer Rebekka Bakken (July 4) and US guitarist George Benson (July 6).
The Danube Island Festival is a free outdoor extravaganza attracting up to three million visitors - a far cry from its humble beginnings as a modest family and cultural event back in 1983! In 2013 the festival celebrates its 30th birthday, and the packed program from June 21-23 includes Austropop legends Wolfgang Ambros and Reinhard Fendrich, electro house icon Mike Candys and Brazilian DJ Joyce Muniz. The Music Film Festival which takes place in front of Vienna City Hall from June 29 to September 1, 2013 is another of Vienna's free offerings. Beginning at sunset, visitors can enjoy outdoor screenings of well-known music, opera and dance film performances on the big screen. Guiseppe Verdi's Attila at the Theater an der Wien is a must for opera buffs. Performed in Italian with German surtitles and conducted by Riccardo Frizza, the premiere takes place on July 7, 2013.
Along with the Danube Island Festival, Vienna's ImPulsTanz will also be celebrating its 30th birthday this summer. From July 11 to August 11, 2013 this international dance and performance festival includes the philosopher of dance Jérôme Bel, Canadian Marie Chouinard and her company, as well as the pioneering Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker. Anyone that wants to find out how the next generation of Viennese pop stars is getting along should make their way to Popfest from July 25-28, 2013 at the open-air stage on Karlzplatz - admission is free!
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night's Concert, May 30, 2013, 21.00, Schönbrunn Palace, 1130 Vienna, www.wienerphilharmoniker.at, www.sommernachtskonzert.at
- Jazz Fest Wien, Jun 17-Jul 10, 2013, www.viennajazz.org
- Danube Island Festival, Jun 21-23, 2013, 1210 + 1220 Vienna, www.donauinselfest.at
- Music Film Festival, Jun 29-Sep 1, 2013, Rathausplatz, 1010 Vienna, www.wien-event.at, daily screenings starting at dusk, concessions stands open 11am - midnight
- Theater an der Wien, Linke Wienzeile 6, 1060 Vienna, www.theater-wien.at
- ImPulsTanz, Vienna International Dance Festival, Jul 11-Aug 11, 2013, www.impulstanz.com
- Popfest, Jul 25-28, 2013, Karlsplatz, 1040 Vienna, www.popfest.at