Held under the banner of "The Sound of Cycling. Urban Cycling Cultures", this four-day event will look at some of the latest developments in the cycling community and give international experts the chance to compare notes on the latest projects in their home countries. The conference will be accompanied by various fringe attractions such as a week-long bike arena on Rathausplatz with an exhibition dedicated to cycling in Vienna, a free bike wash, a bike fashion show on Karlsplatz, the Riesen-Radler bike parade and the bike film festival in the Sigmund-Freud-Park opposite the Votivkirche.
On June 6, 2013 the MAK - Museum of Applied Arts/Contemporary Art will mount a special exhibition entitled Tour du Monde. Bicycle Stories in honor of the 2013 cycling year. A bike installation provides a fresh point of departure for a study of the bicycle as a "vehicle of perception" rather than a simple design object, exploring the way that this mode of transport generates different perceptions of the rider's surroundings and role in society. The inspiration behind the installation is provided by Talking Heads frontman David Byrne's book Bicycle Diaries, in which the British musician and all-round artist relates his experiences as a cyclist in different major towns and cities all over the world.
- Velo-city, Jun 11-14, 2013, Rathaus, 1010 Vienna, www.velo-city2013.com, www.fahrradwien.at
- Radarena bike arena, Jun 8-15, 2013, Rathausplatz, 1010 Vienna
- Bike fashion show, Jun 10 and 11, 2013, Karlsplatz, 1040 Vienna
- Riesen-Radler bike parade, Jun 13, 2013
- Bike film festival, Jun 14 and 15, 2013, Sigmund-Freud-Park, Votivkirche, 1090 Vienna
- Tour du monde. Bicycle stories, Jun 14-Oct 6, 2013, MAK - Museum of Applied Arts/Contemporary Art, Stubenring 5, 1010 Vienna, www.mak.at