The first Austrian branch of US hotel chain Ritz-Carlton opened in Vienna's historic city center at the end of August 2012 (202 rooms and suites), followed by Lamée, a four-star-plus design hotel in November (22 rooms and ten suites). At the end of 2012 the luxury Sans Souci Wien (122 beds) opened next door to the MuseumsQuartier in the seventh district. Still in the seventh district, the new extension of the 25hours Hotel Wien will open in March 2013, taking the total number of rooms at the three-star accommodation to 372. The new five-star Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna is also set to open in the spring. Located in an opulent former mansion house on the Ringstrasse boulevard, this new hotel will offer 304 beds, two restaurants and a private spa zone.
In fall 2013 Spain's Sola Meliá Group will make its first foray into the Viennese market with a new hotel in Austria's tallest building, the DC Tower 1 on the Danube. The ME Vienna by Meliá (255 rooms) will occupy the bottom 15 floors of this Dominique Perrault-designed high rise. A new boutique hotel, The Guesthouse, is due to open its doors in a prime location close to the State Opera in fall 2013. The interior of this 39-room, five-star-equivalent hotel bears the design signature of none other than Sir Terence Conran. The café at The Guesthouse will even have its own bakery and coffee roastery. 2014 will see the opening of the 143-room Hotel Park Hyatt in a complex of historic buildings in the old town which will also be home to the Golden Quarter, Vienna's new luxury shopping zone (www.goldenesquartier.at). Low-budget design hotel chain Motel One is planning to open yet another branch in the Austrian capital in 2014. Located in a heritage-listed building close to the State Opera, Vienna's third Motel One will have 400 rooms.
Among the projects slated to open a little further down the line in 2015 are a 320-bed Four Seasons hotel in the first district and the 128-bed Hotel im Palais Schwarzenberg in the third district. Vienna's hotels currently have a combined total of around 58,100 beds (as at December 31, 2012). This total is set to rise to 62,300 by the end of 2013, and to 63,500 by the end of 2014.
- The Ritz-Carlton Vienna, Schubertring 5-7, 1010 Vienna, www.ritzcarlton.com
- Hotel Lamée, Rotenturmstrasse 15, 1010 Vienna, www.hotellamee.com
- Hotel Sans Souci, Museumstrasse 1, 1070 Vienna, www.hotel-sanssouci.at
- 25hours Hôtel Wien, Lerchenfelderstrasse 1-3, 1070 Vienna, www.25hours-hotels.com/wien
- Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna, Schottenring 20-26, 1010 Vienna, www.kempinski.com
- ME Vienna by Meliá, Donau-City-Strasse 1, 1220 Vienna, www.me-by-melia.com
- The Guesthouse, Führichgasse 10, 1010 Vienna, www.theguesthouse.at
- Hotel Park Hyatt, Am Hof 2, 1010 Vienna, www.park.hyatt.com
- Motel One Wien Staatsoper, www.motel-one.com
- Four Seasons, Riemergasse 7, 1010 Vienna, www.fourseasons.com
- Hôtel du Palais Schwarzenberg, Schwarzenbergplatz 9, 1030 Vienna