The restaurant at the luxury Ritz-Carlton Vienna, which opened on the Ringstrasse at the end of August 2012, is just one of the latest additions to the capital's food scene. Dstrikt, under head chef Wini Brugger - the supremo at highly regarded first district eatery Indochine 21 - concentrates on unpretentious authentic Austrian cuisine. Besides the Dstrikt restaurant, the Ritz-Carlton Vienna also has a hotel bar, a lounge in the lobby and a rooftop bar, open in summer. Luxury eatery Fabios, at a first district location opposite the exclusive Golden Quarter shopping district that is currently taking shape, was made over this summer to plans by Vienna architectural practice BEHF. The culinary philosophy under chef de cuisine Joachim Gradwohl (before Meinl am Graben) is on quality regional produce.
Freyung 4 in the Baroque Palais Kinsky is another new arrival in the old town. An all-in-one restaurant, bar and terrace, it offers a contemporary take on Viennese cuisine. In summer 2012 Harald Riedl took up the reins at Dom Beisl, close to St. Stephen's Cathedral, where French, Viennese and Mediterranean specialties await. The wine list has 600 items. Hoher Markt, in the heart of the city center, is now home to ra'mien go - a new takeaway that does Asian cuisine.
Meanwhile, a pair of chic newcomers have sprung up near the luxury Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom hotel in the second district. Ansari, an offshoot of Madiani on Karmelitermarkt, dishes up Georgian and oriental specialties. The attractive decor was created by Viennese architect Gregor Eichinger. Next door, Mochi offers superb Japanese cuisine including Nigiri sushi and tempura. This popular mini-restaurant was designed by architects Kohlmayr Lutter Knapp.
- Dstrikt, The Ritz-Carlton Vienna, Schubertring 5-7, 1010 Vienna, www.ritzcarlton.com
- Fabios, Tuchlauben 4-6, 1010 Vienna, www.fabios.at
- Freyung 4, Freyung 4 (inside Palais Kinsky), 1010 Vienna, www.freyung4.at
- Dom Beisl, Schulerstrasse 4, 1010 Vienna, www.dombeisl.at
- ra'mien go, Hoher Markt 8-9, 1010 Vienna, www.ramiengo.at
- Ansari, Praterstrasse 15, 1020 Vienna, www.cafeansari.at
- Mochi, Praterstrasse 15, 1020 Vienna, www.mochi.at