New museum in an architectural treasure
The Austrian Pavilion created by Karl Schwanzer for the 1958 Brussels World Exhibition became the city's first museum of modern art when it was re-erected in Vienna. From 1962 to 2001, the 20er Haus, or museum of 20th century art, focused on key movements in international contemporary art. The building was acquired by the Belvedere in 2002, and refurbishing work began in 2008. November 15 the 20er Haus will re-open as 21er Haus and new exhibition space presenting Austrian art from 1945 to the present day in its international context.
The refurbished 21er Haus's light-filled and clearly structured exhibition halls, event spaces, and cinema mean that it offers the perfect space for contemporary, interdisciplinary work of all kinds. The Belvedere collection will provide the backbone of research and exhibition activities at the 21er Haus, which will also house the Wotruba foundation collection and the federal government's contemporary art holdings.
from November 15, 2011
Arsenalstraße 1, 3rd district