New museum in an architectural treasure
The Austrian Pavilion created by Karl Schwanzer for the 1958 Brussels World Exhibition became the city's first museum of modern art when it was re-erected in Vienna. From 1962 to 2001, the 20er Haus, or museum of 20th century art, focused on key movements in international contemporary art. The building was acquired by the Belvedere in 2002, and refurbishing work began in 2008. On 20 September 2011, the 20er Haus will re-open as an exhibition space presenting Austrian art from 1945 to the present day in its international context.
The refurbished 20er Haus's light-filled and clearly structured exhibition halls, event spaces, and cinema mean that it offers the perfect space for contemporary, interdisciplinary work of all kinds. The Belvedere collection will provide the backbone of research and exhibition activities at the 20er Haus, which will also house the Wotruba foundation collection and the federal government's contemporary art holdings.
Arsenalstraße 1, 3rd district